A New Birth of Freedom

6.11.08



Focusing your life on solely making a buck shows a certain poverty of ambition. It asks to little of yourself. Because it is only when you hitch your wagon to something lager than yourself that you realize your true potential.


~ President-elect, Barack Obama


Transcendent. Transformational. Unified.

What could I possibly say in regards to the 2008 Presidential Election?

History in the making. Yes. Anything is possible. Hope won. Hope won over fear. The scope to which the world was watching was staggering. The scope to which the aliveness and enthusiasm that surrounded this campaign was one of the most inspirational moments of my life.

I have never witness such excitement. I've never felt more enlivened by the political process. Transformation is on the horizon. A different kind of leadership is coming to light.

I can't remember a time when the world came together and felt so vested in the outcome. I'm amazed. Delighted. Re-inspired. Hopeful. Transformed. Changed.

9 Insightful Comments:

Tiffany said...

I know wasn't it so incredible?? Truly makes me proud of our democracy. I LOVE that picture too! xoxo

chasing rainbows said...

I love the picture of President-Elect Obama with the Dalai Lama!

idoru said...

Hey there, I'm with you on this post. Sadly, many of those on the "right" are clinging so desperately to old ways of thinking (and acting). In some places, you won't experience people this. In some places like the southeast US, those attitudes are prevalent and deeply ingrained - 'everyone thinking this way'. In parts of Southern California, where the political population is diverse, you see a mix of forward-thinking progressives, while the person next to you might be one of these knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing, old-school types, who still fervently believe that Obama is not to be trusted. These people fear politics in this country are bound to swing "far to the left". So sad.. I pity them for their inability to think in new ways.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that its easy to think we are moving into a "new era" because those around you share the same ideas and mindset. But the sad reality is that many people on the 'right' will serve to be an anchor, slowing the forward progress for all.

Tracy said...

Last night I spoke with Chaku, the Monk we have taken care of for 6 years, he called from Mysore... and he said that they are all very delighted with Obamas win there in the Monastery! It was so wonderful to hear his excitement about it all.
:0)!!
xoxo

peaceloveyoga said...

Yes idoru much of what you say is true. There will be those who will do all they can to hold on to old, tired beliefs. However, I feel that Obama is an example to take a look at moving forward. Through it all. Through all of the negativity that was thrown his way, he never wavered...He didn't attack back by taking things to a new low. I truly feel when being a beacon of light, and staying steadfast, in time, it will continue to diffuse the darkness. Yes, it is only the beginning. The beginning of a new era, and it will be a steep climb, like he said...but, a least the journey has begun...and hope has been brought back to those who thought there was none.

idoru said...

Amen to that :)

peaceloveyoga said...

That's pretty cool Tracy!

While in Taiwan everyone simply says Obama with a thumbs up without a mention of the opposing candidate. Its amazing how the election has captured the heart and minds of those around the world.

(0v0) said...

L, as a teacher you know that sometimes it's tough to be the object of people's projections, even if it's just perfection and wholeness they're projecting on to you.

But when I see in my mind the scene in Taiwan (and everywhere) and think of the unique, enormous outpouring of just love that is headed his way... I imagine it must be not a drain but a source of energy and inspiration to Obama the person. Rather than attracting hate, he has inspired so many people to increase their own sense of love and connection. As you intimate, the interpersonal effects of all this are where much of the juice is to be found... not so much in worship of just the one man.

It won't always feel this good, but it's a transformational moment and as long as it lasts it seems so healing to the heart and psyche.

xx

peaceloveyoga said...

OvO, yes! Thanks! I so appreciate your commentary.

Yes. The expectations seem to be set pretty high. However, I like how we've been held accountable as well. It's time to be the change ourselves instead only looking toward our leaders to change what it is we don't like.

The interesting part is that this event has actually pushed me to start unleashing my own potential and knocking the top off the limitations I've put in place.

 

PEACE LOVE YOGA © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger